Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Mama Multi-tasker

I got a good chuckle today (at myself mind you) as I got out of my car hurrying into work this afternoon. I had my hands full, which is always the case for me. I dropped my purse on the ground right before the sidewalk in front of the hospital. Out spewed the contents of my purse: lip gloss, Peyton's snotty Kleenex from yesterday while we were at the store, my wallet, a potty training book, and my glasses. The man walking by asked if I was okay. Well sir, you probably think I'm nuts, but yes I'm fine, thank you. (UGH).

Just another day in the life of me, always in a hurry, always trying to do a million things at once. My days (all before I leave for work) are usually pretty much the same each day. Take for instance today: I wake up. Fix something for breakfast for Peyton. Quickly make coffee ("Need coffee NOW"). Get him dressed. Wrestle him to brush his teeth (the neighbors must think I torture him, lol). Pour my coffee, sit down, take a sip. Set coffee down, tell Peyton he cannot throw his toys at the dogs. Put him in a time-out. Another sip of coffee. Attempt to proofread my transcription assignments. Yeah, I'll have to do that later. Play with Peyton, read books. I figured we both needed some fresh air/exercise, so we walked to the little park down towards Blue Lake until lunch time. Came back home. Get ready for lunch (which consists of him wanting to sweep/mop the floor and not get in his high chair; put Tootsie in her kennel, as she acts like we never feed her and tries to jump up and eat his food; cook his grilled cheese). Give him his grilled cheese with some corn and pineapple; keep a close eye on him to make sure he isn't throwing his food, while I eat the other half of his grilled cheese for my lunch. Clean him up, while he insistently says "mop, I do, mop, I do..." I tell him, "No we're not mopping AGAIN." Ask him if he wants to watch Blue's Clues for a bit before his nap (Finally a show he will sit for 10 minutes quietly and watch--yes only 10 minutes). We watch for about 5 minutes, he turns the tv off. Alright guess we're done with that. I give him some milk. Read a book with him and his bear/blanket. Lay him down. I make a mad dash, grab the cleaning supplies, hurry to the bathroom to clean it. Finish cleaning the bathroom, put supplies away, let the dogs out. Jump in the shower, get ready. YES! He's still sleeping. I'll now finish proofreading my transcriptions. Done. He's still asleep! Maybe I'll try to watch Grey's online and somewhat catch up. Dang it! Still won't work. Got to get a new computer! Ok, maybe I could start catching up on the new season of Prison Break. Yes, it works! Baby monitor: "Hieeeeeeeee! Bear. AWW. Mama!" Lovely. Welp, guess I was pushing my luck. B comes home. Time to leave for work.

It's so crazy how fast your life changes when you have a child. Yes I do fantasize about how easy it was before. Why didn't I take advantage and work out everyday??! And why wasn't my house completely spotless?!!? I could go do whatever I needed (go the gym, store, take a nap!, etc) whenever I wanted. Being a parent totally makes you realize that you can handle anything...and that time is priceless. :)

No comments: