Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Mama

My mom has just been diagnosed with yet another cancer. For those who don't know, here's a brief history:
My mom was first diagnosed with breast cancer when I was a senior in high school in 1998. They caught that fairly early on her annual mammogram, she had a lumpectomy, lymphadenectomy, chemo, and radiation. The second cancer in 2005, was found on her annual exam-uterine cancer. She underwent a hysterectomy and chemo. This round of chemo was very rough on her body-so rough, they cancelled the last dose of chemo. After that cancer, she had follow-ups every six months, which I am so thankful for, because they again found this cancer very early. (This proves how routine annual exams are so important!)

All three cancers are apparently unrelated. This time the cancer is on her vaginal wall. The tumor is about the size of a marble and has not spread anywhere else, thank God. She is scheduled for surgery-ROBOTIC SURGERY-on Wednesday the 20th.

Robotic surgery is the use of robots in performing surgery. Three major advances aided by surgical robots have been remote surgery, minimally invasive surgery and unmanned surgery. Major advantages of robotic surgery are precision, miniaturization, smaller incisions, decreased blood loss, less pain, and quicker healing time. Further advantages are articulation beyond normal manipulation and three-dimensional magnification. (Courtesy of Wikipedia).

My mom, being the jokester she is, asked her oncologist "Um, I'd like to meet this 'robot.' " Hilarious. She is really upbeat and ready to face this and get it over with. I am so amazed by my mama. She is so strong and I know she will beat this cancer too. Her doctor is one of the best, and I am confident that he and his little robot will do awesome. :)

Please keep her in your prayers, for a smooth surgery, speedy recovery, and hopefully NO NEED FOR CHEMO! Ohh that poison is so bittersweet.

I hate cancer.

And I love my mama.

1 comment:

amy said...

it really does suck. glad it has not spread...that is a blessing! your mom sounds like she is really hanging in there....you do the same.