Saturday, March 5, 2016

CYO basketball season


After a frustrating Fall YMCA season, I decided to coach Peyt's school CYO team.  Boy oh boy was this a challenge.  We didn't have enough third graders for a team so we did a split 3/4th grade team (6 third graders and four 4th graders) and played up at the 4th grade level.  This was a big jump for the 3rd graders going from CYO hotshots last year where they played on 8 foot hoops, they could travel, double dribble and couldn't steal.  Now all rules applied (aside from no double teaming outside the 3 point line and no full court pressing in the first half.) and they played on 10 foot regulation hoops.  The first half of the season was-to be frank-FRUSTRATING.  We were totally out of our league. Also, 8-10 year old boys are so rambunctious, with not the best attention span which was another frustration. So, I scheduled a few extra practices and worked super hard to figure out the right combos of kids and finally things started clicking. I put lots of time and effort in and it finally paid off.

Peyton struggled at the 4th grade level, as did a lot of the 3rd graders.  This was too much of a jump for them for sure.  He was frustrated, but he continued to work hard on his dribbling and shooting. He definitely got stronger with his shooting and understanding more of the rules and fundamentals of the game.

I now know how hard it is to coach.  I'm not sure I'll be a head coach again...I think I'd make a better assistant. It was a big time commitment.  I also realized that I don't have the voice or dominant presence needed. But I love teaching kids what I'm passionate about.  The last few games, seeing the kids using the skills I taught them was the best feeling ever.



Big thanks to my friend Meggan helping me keep the boys in check during the games!

We ended up taking 3rd place in the end of the year tournament


No comments: