Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Close the door AND the windows!

Last night after I put Peyton down to bed, I let the dogs out the back to go potty.  They darted out the door and were going NUTS barking.  Leaves were falling out of our apple tree like there had been a big gust of wind,  but there was zero wind. I turned the outside flood light off and I could see two little glowing eyes looking at me at the top of the tree.  I first thought it was the owl that's constantly hoo-ing out there, but as my eyes adjusted I realized it was a raccoon!  Not just one, but two of them!  They had climbed the tree and were sitting there chomping on apples.  I hurried and bribed the dogs with a treat to get them inside. 
  They didn't seem really scared of us, but B and I sat there watching them for a while and got Peyton up to see them too.  Peyton was freaked out by them and kept telling us to "shut the door AND the windows!!"  He was so worried that they'd get in the house.  We went back inside and they finally climbed down the tree and over the fence back to the wetlands.  They actually are pretty cute, until they start walking their creepy, hunched over walk. It was cool to watch, but kind of scary that they are out there.  I'm pretty sure they'd really hurt our dogs, or even Peyton if they were out there. 






1 comment:

J, K, E & C Hadley said...

creepy...Bev lost one of her dogs to a raccoon several years ago, they can be quite mean so be careful.