Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lack of time and/or time management...

...resulting in kids getting the shaft and major Mommy-guilt.

I'm going to vent, so bear with me here.   :)

I thought after Olivia started sleeping better, I would have lots of energy and time to go back to doing fun things with Peyton (and also now Olivia).  WRONG-O.  I cannot for the life of me get things done.  I'm trying so hard to keep my house clean, give both kids the attention they need, workout, and the list goes on, all before I leave for work at 3pm.  I feel like I'm on an endless cycle of feeding, changing, clothes laundering, toy-picker-uping, soothing (a 4-year-old, 3-month-old, seizing Chihuahua...etc) and then I have to rush and get ready for work.

I feel bad for Olivia because I know she's not getting the one-on-one attention that Peyton did as a baby and also feel bad for Peyt because he's having to entertain himself a lot more because I'm taking care of Olivia.  Is this just how it is with more than one child?
 
I've even created a 'house-cleaning-schedule' on excel for myself, which is hilarious as I  have yet to have followed one day of it, and really, who does that?  Me apparently.  Being a working mother with small kids, I know it's unrealistic to have a perfectly picked up house at all times, but if I leave it be for a while, the clutter drives me insane!  I feel pulled in a million different directions and I'm really hoping some sort of order will come soon.  I'm dropping to 4-days a week instead of 5 at work starting next week so I'm hoping that will help some.  I know B feels this frustration too as he is alone with the kids from 3pm until he puts them to bed at night.  We both don't get a break and we're both exhausted and I know it's because of our opposite schedules.  On our days off together things move much more smoothly (and we get to see each other!).  **Side note: I have to commend B.  He really does an awesome job taking care of the kids in the evenings.  I know it has to be hard juggling bathing/bedtime routines between two tired kids.  He is such a good Daddy, I really am lucky.

I know my expectations are high and I know I'll never have a spic and span house, have perfectly behaved kids, and always have a fun-filled-packed schedule.  But..I want to get a little bit of a better grasp here. Any words of wisdom from any other moms out there?  How do you all do it all (or not)?  :) 

4 comments:

J, K, E & C Hadley said...

I don't know how mommies of multiples survive, I have a hard enough time at times with 1 so I won't comment there but I did make a housecleaning list myself right about the same time Ethan was born and our house was up for sale just so I could maintain my sanity..it makes me laugh that I am that OCD. I hope it will get easier sooner than later.

Marisa said...

Nobody does it all well. No one.
But take heart: The most severe of my mommy guilt was right at the place you are now...new to two. Once she's mobile and they can keep each other occupied a little, it'll open up some more windows of time for you. I totally feel you, though...keep plugging away!

poopsie said...

i dont think there is an easy way...i think when they are little-you just learn to live with the clutter/mess for a bit. P & O get tons of love and attention from both of you, but i know the guilty part will set it no matter what. just know you are doing your best, you dont have to be super mom or super dad (B), just do your best everyday & kiss & hugs those kiddos as much as you can each day. that is what it is all about, not a clean floor or bathroom :) they wont remember how tidy the house was-they will remember the times mom & dad played & enjoyed life. love ya nic, hang tough...

Bethany Fegles Photography said...

I think Marisa's comment says it perfectly! Great words!

I also recently read a blog post I loved that made me laugh:
http://www.frugallivingnw.com/tips-tricks/homemaking-your-way-angelas-homemaking-philosophy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FrugalLivingNW+%28Frugal+Living+NW%29

Also, here's another perspective:
http://www.frugallivingnw.com/frugal-homemaking/homemaking-your-way-emilys-homemaking-philosophy/

You're doing great and things will get easier as they get older! You'll find that rhythm!