Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 Reflection

I got this New Years quiz from a blog that I follow, and I think I'll start doing this every year for a good way to really reflect on my year.  Feel free to copy and paste for yourself as well!

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?I ran my first road race, the 8k Shamrock run.  That's all I can think of, LAME. 
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
 Looking back through my blog archives, I didn't make any! LAME-O again.
This year I have plenty...
~Lose all my baby weight after baby's born, and gain back muscle, get back into good shape. 
~Run more races, starting with a 5k and working my way up to a half marathon.
~Although this may be out of my control- try to figure out work schedules between B and I where we aren't working complete opposite shifts.  Possibly going part-time, fingers crossed!!  I dream of seeing my husband more!
~If B and I are home together more evenings this year, cooking and eating more meals together.  We only get one or two nights a week at home together, which I try to always make a good, healthy dinner.  I feel like my boys need more home-cooked meals than that!  (I do have to give B credit though, he tries really hard to cook healthy meals for the 2 of them when I'm at work, which I know isn't easy). 
~Patience and prioritizing.  I'm sure it will take some adjusting to having 2 kids, a newborn and a 4-year-old.  I really want to try to have a ton of patience.  I want to make sure that Peyton has a lot of one-on-one time and not feel neglected with a new baby at home.  I'm hoping I'll be able to juggle caring for a newborn, keeping Peyton entertained/engaged, spending quality time with B, keeping the house in order, making time to workout, etc etc etc. It will take some time to get a schedule down, but I'm hoping to stay organized and prioritize well. 
~More date nights with B and a take a weekend or more away with just the two of us.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Jill had baby Zoie in January.  Also, a ton of other acquaintances had babies as well.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My mom, and a friend's newborn.  :(  Also, I miscarried at 5 1/2 weeks in March. 
5. What countries did you visit?
None this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?Happiness, patience, less sadness and less stress.

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?September 23rd, 2010, the day my mom passed away.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Running an 8k unprepared, the same day I found out I was pregnant (the first time of two this year), making a pretty good time.
9. What was your biggest failure?Not being as fun/focused of a mom/wife as I usually am.  With my mom being sick/passing away, my mind was pre-occupied, worry, stress and sadness took over me.  Also, accompanied with said stress, being pregnant more than half the year left me very tired with zero energy.  I'm hoping for a much better year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?I strained my IT band, aka Runner's Knee.
11. What was the best thing you bought?New carpet.

12. Where did most of your money go?House mortgage.

13. What did you get really excited about?Having our second baby!
14. What song will always remind you of 2010?You Send Me, by Sam Cooke (My parent's song) and I Hope You Dance, by Lee Ann Womack- both played in the slide show at my mom's funeral.

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? More sad for sure.
– thinner or fatter? Fatter, prego!!
– richer or poorer? Well we both got our annual raises, but cost of living always rises, and more expenses always creep up.  So the same probably.

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

~Spent more time with my mom when she was somewhat healthier.  I spent as much time as I possibly could with her, but it would never be enough.  Miss her so much.
~Been more patient with Peyton.  I feel like I sometimes took my stress/grief out on him, by not being as patient. 
~More date nights with B. 
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worry.
Stress out.
18. How did you spend Christmas?With both of our families.
19. What was your favorite TV program?Modern Family hands down. If you haven't watched it, oh man, you must.

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I read a ton, but I read almost all of Nicholas Sparks' books.  Every one of them was really good.

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Whatever was on the radio.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?Eclipse! Dinner for Schmucks, Dear John, Due Date.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?B threw me a surprise birthday party at Amalfi's, I turned 30.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?Winning the lottery. 
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?HA. That's hilarious.  That was the last thing on my mind this year.
26. What kept you sane?God.  Without my spiritual faith, I think I may have been committed to a psych ward with all the loss I experienced this year...
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010
Cherish every moment you have with the ones you love, you never know how much you'll miss them once they are gone. 

This year really flew by, and was the hardest year I've ever had.  Here's to a much better 2011!

2 comments:

J, K, E & C Hadley said...

good idea...also, I would love to watch the new little one and Peyton whenever you need help or want time to yourself or a date with B.

nisly's said...

I felt the same way you did about the one on one (or two in my case) time with the girls. I've found that having a sister didn't even phase the girls. Peyton is going to love that little baby so much and you're going to love watching him. I remember being so stressed about them having to leave the hospital when they came to see us so I bought them a couple little dolls and books. They could have cared less about the gifts...Just the fact that you are thinking about it is great (and second time around is SOOOOOOOOO much less stressful).